Be the first to hear our latest news
Did you know we have a new local CNC machinist who specialises in aluminium?
We recently found a machinist who has just moved into the area. After 28 years in the business, he is still passionate about what he does!
His brand new 3 axis machine is ideally suited to prototype and low volume batch work but his attention to detail is what really makes him stand out. He has a wide range of capabilities and is happy to tackle complex parts as well as tooling in most grades of aluminium.
Why do we machine in aluminium?
- Physically, chemically and mechanically aluminium is a metal just like steel, brass, copper, zinc, lead or titanium. It can be melted, cast, formed and machined much like these other metals.
- Aluminium is a very light metal with a weight of about a third that of steel. Its strength can be adapted by modifying the composition of its alloys.
- Aluminium naturally generates a protective oxide coating and therefore is highly corrosion resistant. Different types of surface treatment, such as anodising, painting or lacquering, can help to improve this.
- Aluminium is an excellent heat and electricity conductor (almost twice as good a conductor as copper).
- Aluminium is a good reflector of light as well as heat,
- Aluminium is ductile and has a low melting point and density.
- Aluminium is 100 percent recyclable with no downgrading of its qualities.
With the capability to machine at up to 24,000rpm and cutters down to 0.3mm diameter, good quality surface finishes and tolerances are achievable, Part sizes up to 400x300x300 can be easily achieved.
If you have a requirement for aluminium parts or need a tool, give us a call – we know just the person to turn to!