Frequently Asked Questions
Thinking about reshoring your tool from the Far East?
Brexit has shaken up businesses across the country and many companies are using this as an opportunity to re-evaluate the way they are conducting their manufacturing.
Fluctuating exchange rates and the uncertainty of what is to come has already resulted in an increase in the demand for tooling within the UK. Tooling costs in the Far East are rising, due to higher wage expectations, increased shipping costs alongside falling exchange rates. One option many companies are looking into is to bring their tools back to the UK.
This does require thought, however, both logistically and financially.
Typical questions that must be raised...
1) What are the costs to ship the tool back to the UK?
2) What spares should be shipped with the tool?
3) How long will this take? (Bear in mind air, sea and now rail freight options) Lost production time will need to be factored in to the equation.
4) Once the tool is UK based, what will the export costs be in comparison to shipping from the Far East?
5) Will the tool come with any warranty?
6) A UK moulder will need to be confident about the tool they are taking on. They will certainly want to know:
- i) The tool quality and would probably want to see samples of the parts already produced.
- ii) The tool specs including the material of the mould.
- iii) The part design.
- iv) The materials used for the part.
- v) Information on the tools provenance.
7) It is worth checking that a UK moulder will be able to run the tool for the number of hours required for the production quantities (bearing in mind Chinese moulders often work 7 days a week)?
8) Do you have a UK toolmaker prepared to support the tool if things go wrong?
Speak to us about tooling
Plunkett Associates manufactures both in the Far East and in the UK and are well placed to assist with all your tooling requirements.
In the meantime, pick up the phone and talk to us. We will be happy to help.
Produces production intent material properties. Injection Moulding is used for development as well as production parts.
Read more expert articles in our FAQ section where we discuss topics on materials, methods and products.
We work with you, taking your information, be it rough sketches, drawings or just ideas, and create designs in Solidworks (3D) suitable for su...
Prototyping & Low Volumes
Today prototyping typically means layer based or additive manufacture. Having pioneered both Stereolithography and Selective Laser Sintering i...
Tooling & Moulding
We manufacture compression and injection mould tooling, designed to match your quantities and timescales. Manufacturing in UK and in China, in...
Make use of our design for manufacture service. We give added value to your project by advancing your design data through technical analysis ...
The good news is for those of you wanting low volume production parts -quantity is no longer such a barrier to accessing the process you want....
Our consultancy services support you and your manufacturing requirements. We undertake: design work, utilising our experience to ensure eco...